German Law

Have German law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I need information on immigration to Germany. married to a…

Customer Question
I need information on...

I need information on immigration to Germany. I am American married to a German wife for 12 years and we have a 12 year old daughter.Every place we call tell us something different

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

I am here in Germany now visiting them. I came on 24 Feb 2018

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I worked for the US Army here for 17 Years and was under the SOFA and there was no requirement to register in Germany. oNCE THIS JOB WAS OVER IN sepy 2017. I took a job in the states in OCt 2017 and worked there for 5 months before quitting and coming back to Germany as a tourist on 24 feb 2108

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: German Law
3/19/2018
Lawyer: hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M. replied 3 months ago
hhvgoetz
hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.

as a US American citizen you are privileged. You can register at the Einwohnermeldeamt in Germany and proceed to the local Ausländerbehörde for a residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel) without leaving the country as long as you are legally as a tourist in Germany (wihtout expiring the 90 days).

You will need to orove German proficiency A1 in order to get the permit.

Please do the course (if necessary) and then the test ASAP.

If you can communicate with the Ausländerbehörde in Germany, they may not make a big deal out of it.

Regards