German Law

Have German law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am moving to Berlin and will work and live there. However…

Customer Question
I am moving to Berlin...
I am moving to Berlin and will work and live there.
However I need to keep my domicile in Belgium for now. Local authorities told me I could get an 'absence status' from them meaning I would live somewhere else (for 2 years max) but I would maintain my domicile in my hometown.
How will this go for the authorities in Berlin though? Do I still need to do the registration? What paperwork should I fill in and how do I make sure my domicile is not set in Germany?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: German Law
3/15/2018
Lawyer: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 4 months ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Hello I do indeed still need an answer. I need it by the end of this week.
Lawyer: Thegonnec, Judge replied 4 months ago
Thegonnec
Thegonnec, Judge

From the Belgian point of view, you can do this. This is what you would do if you travelled the world for 2 years, moving from place to place every three months...

From the German point of view, it is going to be very different indeed. if you live in Berlin more than 183 days in a year, you will become a German tax resident.

You will need to register but you status will vary widely depending on whether you are an EU citizen or not. If not, you will need a resident's visa and a foreigner resident's card.