German Law

Have German law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am moving to Germany to get married, but I am concerned…

I am moving to...

I am moving to Germany to get married, but I am concerned about immigration laws

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I visited Germany from Dec 23 - Jan 17 and my flight is April 15, I am worried about staying over 90 days in a 6 month period

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My wedding is June 30th and will submit the application for a marriage visa then
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/7/2018
hhvgoetz
hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.

if you enter again in on April 15. and plan to stay in the Schengen area all the time, this will in fact not work out.

You will need to get a residence status in Gemana for the marriage before June 30 (quite difficult to achieve but as an US citizen in contrast to many other nationalities legally possible) or shorten your stay or marry before reaching the 90 days for example in Denmark.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
to be clear, I will have to arrive later than April 15 in Germany to avoid issues with the Schengen area?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is very bad news and it is all very confusing. I want to be with my Fiance as soon as I can.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The wedding is June 30th, and I will need to complete the visa application paperwork quickly after. How can I prepare for the wedding if I'm not in the country? Isn't there a fiance visa or similar, like in the US?

Calculate the days of your last stays and make sure to be married before getting over the 90 days.

From April 15 to June 30 it is 2,5 months, so roughly 75 days... + your stay in December/January...

Yes, there is a fiance visa. You'll have to apply for it.

Make sure to prove A1 level of German!

As a U.S. citizen you may also apply in Germany for the visa as long you are still within the 90 days.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
either way I will need to move my flight
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is the fiance visa? I have looked for it and haven't found any paperwork?

Actually it is a marriage visa. You get in order to get married.

If you manage to get the visa before or in Germany in April or May, you may be able to stay.

I cannot tell you if it will work out. You will need A1 German proficiency.

hhvgoetz
hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A1 is no problem I have an exam to prove that in April anyway.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that was the soonish this year I could schedule an exam
hhvgoetz
hhvgoetz
hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.