German Law

Have German law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Getting divorced while living in germany under SOFA status…

Getting divorced while living in...
Getting divorced while living in germany under SOFA status to a German citizen, but married in Tennessee
Answered in 1 day by:
1/13/2018
legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Dear Customer, thank you for coming to this site.Is Germany your joint residence?Have you got any specific questions about the divorce ?
I am a legal resident of Nebraska and I pay state taxes and federal taxes to United States. I work on the American military installation on base and fall under the American work system. We are renting our current place of residence in germany
Dear Customer, if you both are residents here in Germany German divorce law would be applicable .This is according to the Rome III treaty which focuses on where couples have their residence .Nationality or SOFA status or where you got married are of no importance .
Would getting a divorce in America be applicable
of course you can get a divorce in the US
What would be the proper filing procedures to file for divorce in nebraska

Dear Customer, I am only allowed to answer questions in German Law

I hope I was able to help you. Should you have any further questions please be my guest. I shall try to answer them as soon as possible. If i have helped I would very much appreciate getting a positive rating. This is how I get credit for my work . Thank you so much, your business is very valuable to us.
legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney