German Law

Have German Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

German Law

My husband is a permanent resident of the US and owes child…

Hi, my husband is...

Hi, my husband is a permanent resident of the US and owes child support in Germany. He is unable to work and therefore cannot pay. What is the worst case scenario if he does not make child support payments overseas to Germany? He doesn't even have the money to hire an attorney overseas to represent him, let alone a plane ticket to fly over there and appear in court in person.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is what came in the mail today for him
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/3/2018
legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Dear Customer, thank you so much for coming here . This is a court order which you have to contradictThis has to be done by a German Lawyer.If there is no contradiction child support is owed and can be enforced.May I ask
What does your husband live on? Has he got any assets ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello, I am a disabled combat veteran and receive VA benefits. I support my husband. He gets a small non taxable stipend for being my caregiver but that’s it. Can they enforce anything internationally?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I forgot that he has no assets.

yes they can enforce it

you need to contradict

you need proof of your husband´s income

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thank you. I realize that we need to contradict, which we will, but what is the absolute worst case scenario if he didn’t respond and didn’t pay?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The reason I ask is because to my knowledge, Germany is not a country the US has a treaty with in enforcing child custody and support regulations.

Yes, there is no treaty but it can be enforced

You need a German lawyer for cobtradicting

I hope I was able to help you. Should you have any further questions please be my guest. I shall try to answer them as soon as possible. If i have helped I would very much appreciate getting a positive rating. This is how I get credit for my work . Thank you so much, your business is very valuable to us.
legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
legal eagle
legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney