German Law

Have German law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My husband is American and his ex wife is German (and lives…

Customer Question
My husband is American and...
My husband is American and his ex wife is German (and lives in Germany). They have two children who have dual citizenship. Legally, the ex wife has custody of the boys and is ordered to pay child support. Last October, the oldest came to live with us in America. He has been with us since October 2016 and plans to live with us permanently. I have several questions:
1. We are still paying child support, 500 euros per month, and she pays nothing. The child support per the agreement states we pay child support for both children. Could we be required to pay past child support even though the child has lived with us in the states? (the mom isn't asking this, she just has a tendency to get ugly so we are trying to protect ourselves)
2. What would it take to get a revised custody agreement stating we have full custody of our son that lives with us?
3. His ex wife is a nurse and currently is in school. She works part time. According to her, she wouldn't owe child support because she is in school. Is this correct? We actually don't want to require her to pay child support, we just don't want it coming back on us for not paying for two children even though we have one.
4. The current custody agreement states we should be able to see our youngest child for visitation, but the mother won't let him travel out of Germany. It's not feasible to fly our family (7 people in all) to Germany to see him. What would you recommend as the easiest route to get everything taken care of?Thanks,
Amy
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: German Law
Answered in 3 days by:
1/1/2018
Lawyer: lucy7368,
 replied 4 months ago
lucy7368

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Was the original custody order entered in Germany or the US? If it was the US, which state?

It was entered in Germany. And I accidentally put that she pays child support, I meant we are required to pay for two children (13 and 11) and we are in the highest bracket. We are only paying 600 and not requiring her to pay anything to us
Lawyer: lucy7368,
 replied 4 months ago

Thank you.

I'm not sure what German law is on this issue, so I'm going to opt out and let you talk to someone else. Good luck.

legal eagle
legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney