German Law

Have German law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

American Citizen had a -term serious relationship with a man…

Customer Question
American Citizen had a...

American Citizen had a long-term serious relationship with a man who was originally American citizen. He became a German citizen, had a life insurance policy for which she is beneficiary. He committed suicide, had no will, and she has no relationship with his family. she has been in touch with the lawyer who, apparently was hiired by the family as executor of his estate. The lawyer told her only that she is the beneficiary, but nothing about the policy. he wants her to agree to his 450EU/hour fee without knowing the amount of hours (he said it will take MANY hours of work, but no specifics), or even what the amount of the insurance policy.

Lawyer's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

How can my friend find out the amount of the policy, and how the process works in Germany. Does she have to hire a German lawyer? does the suicide issue complicate things? etc.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: German Law
12/5/2017
Lawyer: a.merkel, Rechtsanwältin; LL.M. Eur. replied 7 months ago
a.merkel
a.merkel, Rechtsanwältin; LL.M. Eur.

Dear customer,

i will answer your questions as follows:

1. How can my friend find out the amount of the policy, and how the process works in Germany.

She has to see the insurance policy. There you will find all the information you need. She should ask the lawyer for a copy of the insurance policy. Since this will be written in German, they still have translation costs.

2. Does she have to hire a German lawyer?

In case the insurance does not want to pay, yes.

3. does the suicide issue complicate things?

Yes. Whether, if this prevents the payment, can be determined only after examination of the insurance policy. Again, you would need to know the insurance policy.

Do you have any understanding questions?

If not, then I may ask for evaluation.

Click on 3-5 stars in the rating tool below the chat window.

This is required so that the portal operator can close the consultation. Many Thanks!

What is the lawyer's responsibility to give a copy of the policy, or the details of the policy, to the beneficiary?Apparently, the lawyer wants a commitment for an unspecified number of hours before divulging any such detailed info.

1. What is the lawyer's responsibility to give a copy of the policy, or the details of the policy, to the beneficiary?

He has none, because he is not commissioned from you. You basically has to ask the heirs. Since it is expected that he has all the documents, you should ask him. Just hand out a copy of the insurance policy cannot be more than processing fees (RVG, Nr. 7002 VV 20 Euro) plus copycosts per page.

Apparently, the lawyer wants a commitment for an unspecified number of hours before divulging any such detailed info.That is normal, because it is usually unknown how many hours of work will be needed. I may ask for evaluation for the given answers.Click on 3-5 stars in the rating tool below the chat window.This is required so that the portal operator can close the consultation. Many Thanks!

Dear Customer,

I ask you to do the pending evaluation.

This is required so that the portal operator can close the consultation.

Many Thanks!

Dear customer,

is there a problem with the rating tool?

May I help?