German Law

Have German law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Born but i have been a NZ citizen for 14 years. I received a…

Hello, i am German born...
Hello, i am German born but i have been a NZ citizen for 14 years. I received a letter from Germany about accepting or declining a inheritance. I do not want to accept the inheritance. My question is can i just ignore it. Because my passport run out and i would have to renew it to have ID. I do not have any other ID. Then i would need to drive 400km which i don't want to do because i am chronic ill. Also i can't afford it. What happends if i just ignore it? Kind regards, Heidi
Answered in 1 day by:
10/17/2017
legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney

Dear Customer,

in order not to inherit you have to reject the inheritance.

You do not reject the inheritance automatically passes on to you and yu are responsible for all the debts there may be.

This responsibilty is personal so ypou may lose some of your own money.

The deadline for rejecting if the heir lives abroad is 6 months

Turn to the German embassy as fast as you can they will help you

legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney