German Law

Have German law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

What to do if you think you have inherited in germany

what to do if you think you have inherited in germany
10/13/2017
legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney

Dear Customer, why do you think you have inherited ? Who has passed away

A best friend of my Dad. He was contacted from Germany after his death and was told that he was left as his contact as he had no one else. They have been friends for over 20 years and he always told my dad he would leave things to him. From what I could understand the lawyer in Germany that my lawyer in Malta appointed has already found the will and my father is in it. But as I have paid a lot and still not got one single paper from him I am afraid that my lawyer and also the one in Germany are in it for the money so I would like a second opinion

Dear Customer, please be careful . If he passed away in Germany according to International European Law German Law is applicable . So if your Dad is still alive everything is fine BUT he would have gotten a letter from probate court !

According to section 2069 of the German civil law book the death of your father would not mean that you are the heir .Only when and if your dad' s friend had one of his own children in his will and this child would pass away would this be the case .Your dad's passing away does not mean you automatically have a claim.

Getting the will from the probate court would be a no brainer for a lawyer. He just would have to know where the deceased had his last residence .

No my father is alive but I am handling things for him. How can we see the will and what to do after ? As up till now all I can understand is that he is in the will.

Dear Customer

turn to the probate court where the deceased last resided.

They are obliged to send you the will if your father is in it

how do I contact them ?

Tell me the name of the deceased‘s last residence

Which city?

The town is euskirchen

Write to *****

-Nachlassgericht-

Kölner Str. 42

53879 Euskirchen

I hope I was able to help you. Should you have any further questions please be my guest. I shall try to answer them as soon as possible. If i have helped I would very much appreciate getting a positive rating. This is how I get credit for my work . Thank you so much, your business is very valuable to us.

I have wrote an e mail to them explaining the situation. I much appreciate your help. But if I do find something and need the help of a German lawyer how do I go about doing so ? And how much would expenses be ? As up till now I know he has propertyy and money in the bank but the lawyer appointed by my lawyer here in Malta is not giving us much information. And I think the reason is there is a lot of money involved and he or she will want to get more money out of me. I paid for the research around 3 weeks ago and still have not been sent anything.

You need to see the will first then you can proceed further

The costs are unpredictable you need to know about the assets. Because the costs are always according to what the assets are worth

legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney