German Law

Have German law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was fined by German Police for speeding, I paid the fine…

Customer Question
I was fined by German...
I was fined by German Police for speeding, I paid the fine in CASH €900 and then Paid fine when I came back via a letter they sent to me €120.I am travelling to Germany in 2018 but I have received the below letter in German.What do I need to do? Do I have to send my License to German Police.
If I drive in Germany again, would there be any problems?
If you can kindly advice.Below is an extract of the letter.die Zentrale Bußgeldstelle hat gegen Sie den oben genannten Bußgeldbescheid erlassen. Der Bußgeldbescheid ist seit 29.03.2017 rechtskräftig.Wir weisen Sie auf das ab dem 29.07.2017 wirksame Fahrverbot von 3 Monat(en) Dauer hin.
- Das Fahrverbot bleibt solange bestehen, bis das Fahrverbot und dessen Ablaufdat um in Ihrem Führerschein eingetragen wurde. Sie werden aufgefordert, Ihren Führerschein an die Zentrale Bußgeldstelle zur Eintragung des Fahrverbotes zu übersenden. Nach Eintrag ert1alter1 Sie den Führerschein sofort zurück. Es besteht auch die Möglichkeit, Ihren Führerschein bei der Zentralen Bußgeldstelle für die festgesetzte Zeit verwahren zu lassen. Sie ersparen sich dadurch einen Vermerk irn Führerschein über das Fahrverbot. Auf die Strafbarkeit des Führens von Kraftfahrzeugen trotz Fahrverbotes gemäß §21 des Straßenv erkehrsgesetzes wird hingewiesen.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: German Law
10/9/2017
Lawyer: hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M. replied 8 months ago
hhvgoetz
hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.

as stated in the letter, you cannot drive any more until the date of the end of the 3 months driving prohibtiion is registered to your license (which will be at least 3 months from the date they receive your license).

The disadavantage is, that the note that you had a driving ban in Germany will stay on your license forever. For Germans, who keep their license (at least the older ones) for a lifetime, this would be an issue.

You should make sure, to have the documents to drive legally in your country while your license is in the mail and back.

The alternative would be to ask them to keep the license for 3 months. This way, they won't need to write anything on it.

If you don't send it in, you won't be allowed to drive in Germany (criminal offense with serious fines).

Regards

Hi,How would German authority know I have given the license locally, if I drive next year in Germany what would happen if I get pulled over?Do I need to inform them I have given it in, how does it work?

The German police will only know that you have given in the license if you did so in Germany. Of course, it is not sufficient to hand in in your country.

The German authority will mark your driving license as stated in their letter.

If you handed it in for the 3 months, it will be kept for the 3 months and the driving ban is served. Thus, there is no need for the police to know about it...

In case you get court without having handed it in, you're driver's license may get marked and sent to your home country. You will be prosecuted for driving without permission (§ 21 StVG) which will result in a pretty high fine depending on your salary.

Regards

Where do I handed it in and what address do I send it to?

To the address stated in the letter (Zentrale Bußgeldstelle).

In case of any doubt, give them a call as where to address ist exactly in order not to get lost and to get it back properly.

You may also ask, if there is a possibility to get the license marked at a local German embassy or consulate.

Regards