German Law

Have German Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

German Law

I would like to understand the rights of an EU Blue Card

Customer Question
Hello - I would like...
Hello - I would like to understand the rights of an EU Blue Card Holder. I currently hold an EU blue card for Luxembourg. I have been on this card for the last 2 years and 3 months (with the same company). If I would shift to Germany now on a blue card, would the years I have spend in Luxembourg on the blue card count towards my PR in germany? If yes, after how much time in Germany on a PR can I get German citizenship?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: German Law
Answered in 2 days by:
11/24/2016
Lawyer: EULawyer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. The answers are:

1. Unfortunately, the time spent in Luxembourg is not counted towards Permanent Residence or the time needed for citizenship in Germany.

2. The normal time for acquiring citizenship in Germany is 8 years' of residence. However, this can be shortened in the following circumstances:

Exceptions to the normal residence requirements include:

• persons who have completed an integration course may have the residence requirement reduced to 7 years
  • if a person shows that he/she is especially well integrated and has a higher level of command of the German language than the basic requirement for the German citizenship (i.e., higher than CEFR level B1) may have the residence requirement reduced to 6 years
  • the spouse of a German citizen may be naturalised after 3 years of continual residency in Germany. The marriage must have persisted for at least 2 years.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad

EULawyer
EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer