How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask EULawyer Your Own Question
EULawyer, Lawyer
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 249
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
Type Your German Law Question Here...
EULawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in US. I was born in Russia, I was married there and

Customer Question

I live in US.
I was born in Russia, I was married there and had a son born in 1990.
In 1992 i divorced and i left the country in 1994. I paid child support till my son got 18 years old. Afterwards i paid his university tuition. Last years i have not been able to contact him as he moved. Recently i received several e-mails from a German lawyer requesting child support. According to the lawyer e-mail my son emigrated in Germany and started to study in German university. He will be 27 in March 2017.
This information is not supported by any documents. I asked several times to inform me where my son lives and what university he studies in. I also requested a copy of the contract between the lawyer and my son as an evidence that the lawyer has a right to represent my son. Nothing was provided.
I fill responsible for my son future and would like to help him. Not until he is 27 years old, but during his whole study . But i would like to do it from my own will and i would like to decide myself how much support i will provide.
My questions:
Am i lawfully responsible for my child support if he is 26 years old, lives and studies in Germany?
I do not live in Germany and i am not a German citizen. What do you suggest me to do?
thank you,
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: German Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please, do not publish my question on the free access website. Keep it private
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
German lawyer, who contacted me by e-mail with child support, does not have my address in US. What will happen if i refuse support and will not give them my address? Do they have any legal grounds to search for me in US and force me to pay?
Expert:  EULawyer replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Expert:  EULawyer replied 8 months ago.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your question. The answers are:

1. According to German law you are obliged to pay a form of child support even after 18 years of age, as long as the child pursues university studies;

2. On the other hand, as the person with parental responsibility, you also have the right to be informed of your child, his whereabouts, address, university being pursued etc. This includes demanding his grades (marks / tests) as well, and knowing his address and even contacting him;

3. The attorneys do not have a right to search for you in the US. If you refuse to pay and don't give your address, they can sue you in German courts, and the court will decide in your absence. Once the decision has been taken, it can be enforced in the US, through a US bailiff (who will probably use a private investigator to search for you). This is just a civil matter (i.e., the most the bailiff can do is sell assets you own or garnish your accounts), and it would take some time. So, the most that you expose yourself to is having to pay according to the court order;

4. My suggestion is, however, to continue asking the lawyer for documents and contact details of your son, as well as for any court documents, if he does start a trial. If there is a trial, the best thing to do would be to hire a German English-speaking lawyer (these can be found here: A local attorney would have access to the case file, and would be able to make copies of documents, including the contact details of your son, enabling you to make direct contact.

I hope my answers were useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.


Dr I L Vlad

Related German Law Questions