How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DirkBettinger Your Own Question
DirkBettinger, Rechtsanwalt
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 132
Experience:  2. Staatsexamen
Type Your German Law Question Here...
DirkBettinger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A German citizen was living in Austria with her American

Customer Question

A German citizen was living in Austria with her American husband. They had filed Austrian residency. They separated and the husband returned to America. After some time passed the wife filed for divorce in the Austrian courts.
She found out through the court system that the husband had already erroneously filed for divorce in America without her being notified, so she fought the divorce in America.
The husband had sent a four page letter to the Austrian courts in English. The courts translated the letter and billed the wife over 1,000 Euros for the translation. Is she liable for the costs of the translation?
The divorce was settled in the United States. The wife was not consulted regarding translating the letter, she was billed after the fact.
If she is liable for the court costs, is there anywhere she can get help for the fees?
I appreciate your help.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: German Law
Expert:  Alexander Baron von replied 9 months ago.


This is a question of either Austrian or U.S. (respective state) law. I cannot answer this. Good luck.

Alexander von Engelhardt

Related German Law Questions