How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask EULawyer Your Own Question
EULawyer, Lawyer
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 257
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
Type Your German Law Question Here...
EULawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my wife secretly record me without my knowledge and then

Customer Question

Can my wife secretly record me without my knowledge and then use it against me in Germany. Can she share text messages between us in the same way?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: German Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

Dear Sir,

I am very sorry for your situation. Based on German law and European Court of Human Rights rulings, the situation is as follows:

1. Recordings: if she records you and then threatens or smears your name with the use of the recording, it is illegal, and may constitute the crime of blackmail, and at the very least it is a good reason for divorce and civil punitive damages. The only exception: if you were doing something illegal and she went straight to the police or court with the recording. Then she is allowed to do so. However, even in this case, she must not use the same recording for blackmail or to put it in public / to friends etc.;

2. Text messages: she is allowed to share them, in principle, with friends / family. She is not allowed to post them online or otherwise in public, if they would cause you an image harm. However, in this case, it is not a crime, but only a civil cause for simple damages, if you prove that her actions (posting the messages) were detrimental to your image / earnings etc.

Note that if you wish to pursue her for the crime of blackmail or violation of private life (for the recordings), you will need to take on a German local lawyer. The German police does not investigate intra-family actions like these unless there is a special "preliminary request" made by you (the idea is to show that you consider it grave enough to pursue the matter), and which can only be made with the help of an attorney (legal aid is available locally depending on your income).

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.


Dr I L Vlad

Related German Law Questions