How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask EULawyer Your Own Question
EULawyer, Lawyer
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 269
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
Type Your German Law Question Here...
EULawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I married in 1971 here in Texas a American men and kept my

Customer Question

I married in 1971 here in Texas a American men and kept my German Citizen Ship, because I worked in Germany for 18 years. My husband past in 2006. Question: If I would become a American Citizen now, would I lose my German SS- benefits???? Thank you Erika Hodon
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: German Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.
Dear Mrs Hodon,Thank you for your question. The short answer is no, you would not lose Social Security (pension) from Germany. You might see your US Social Security affected, though (in that you may receive a smaller amount than otherwise), but you will receive a German pension on top of that.Please see this specialized page for information: will tell you how your US Social Security is affected, what documents you might need when applying for the German and US pensions, and which are the responsible institutions, so that you receive your rights.So the short answer is that your German pension will not be affected. Please tell me if you have further questions.I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.Cordially,Dr I L Vlad