EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
84559455

I am a German citizen but my parents are both Indian and

Customer Question

I am a German citizen but my parents are both Indian and retired. Father is 67 years old and mother 57 years old.I have to keep applying for schengen visa for them every year (they have had over 15 schengen visas over the last 10 years) and every time it is issued for between 3 months and 6 months.Is there any way I can get them a longer term visa?Thank you.
Category: German Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. The Schengen visa is issued for between 3 and 6 months, based on European law.

However, your parents may apply for a National (German) Visa, which is issued for longer periods (section 6 para. 3 of the Law on Residence). The conditions for granting this visa are the same as for residence permits. The most appropriate section where they could fall under would be section 36 para. 2 of the same law, dealing with subsequent immigration of parents and other dependants. Given that you are a German citizen, and that your parents have a stable financial situation, being retired, and assuming that you can undertake their support in Germany, I would see no problem with them obtaining a national long-term visa (called C3), valid for 3 years. The procedure should be dealt with by the German Embassy / Consulate in India, because, while provided for in the law, these visas are not very common, and it might take a while, but once granted it is valid for 3 years, and can even be extended.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks you. My parents are currently living in Bulgaria on a long term (5 years) and after 2 more years they are eligible for permanent residency of Bulgaria. Can you kindly confirm that once my parents get their permanent residency after 5 year stay on Bulgaria, they can then travel to any other EU country, including Germany, without the need for visa based in permanent residency of Bulgaria?
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Excuse the delay. Yes, I can confirm that. Once a person has residency in one EU country, then they can travel and settle in any other EU country (including non-Schengen, such as Britain). So if they have permanent residency in Bulgaria, they can travel and live in any other EU country, without any kind of visa.

Please do not forget the rating to my answer, which is essential to my activity.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad