German Law

Have German law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have received an invoice from a German lawyer for

Customer Question
Hello I have received an...
Hello I have received an invoice from a German lawyer for legal services provided to me in the UK. The work he did for me related to a situation in Germany. He has added German VAT at 19%. I would have thought that this would be treated as exported services
and would be zero rated. AM I correct in thinking that he shouldn't have charged VAT?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: German Law
6/19/2015
Lawyer: José M., Attorney replied 3 years ago
José M.
José M., Attorney
Hi there
Exports need goods to be exported, services are not exportables
So, the bill is right
The lawyer has not exported his service
Thank you
Hi Sir
Do you need more help? Please let me know if you do
Thank you
“Am I allowed to reclaim the German VAT charge on the invoice. If not, would I be able to reclaim it if I asked him to reissue the invoice to my UK VAT Registered company?”
Yes, you should claim for the VAT paid In Germany and deduce it from the VAT due to pay in UK.
You paid as you were forced to pay, and you claim for the reduction as you can do it, for sure
Thank you