How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 9389
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your German Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner and I got married in Vegas in 2012. However we

Customer Question

My partner and I got married in Vegas in 2012. However we never declared back in Germany. We separated almost a year ago and now my company (American carrier) is asking me for a divorce certificate to be able to take him off my profile. As it's not official
in Germany how can we do to get a divorce or annull the marriage?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: German Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
According to
Germany does recognize the Las Vegas marriage as legal in Germany.
I don't have all the facts but it does not sound like you have grounds for an annulment, see
but you can file for divorce in Germany after having been separated for one year.
You can find divorce lawyers in Germany listed by location at
Please follow up on this with a local attorney.
I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sounds very helpful. I just need to go through all of these.
Thank you. I get back to you.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if you need more information.