hhvgoetz
hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.
Experience:  LL.M. in International Trade Law (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)
48877684

I have handed my notice in with my current employer,

Customer Question

I have handed my notice in with my current employer, they have since agreed to give me my notice period of 3 months. However included in my Contract is a company car, my contract that states it can be used for private use as well as company use.
My company are giving me the follow choice, a good reference and I return the car tomorrow or keep the car and a bad reference letter.
My question is in Germany is it possible for a company to give a negative reference letter or decline to a reference.
My understanding it must be positive?
Can you please confirm my thoughts
Many thanks
Steve
Category: German Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. You ask if this is possible in Germany but have posted your question in our UK law category. Which country does this apply to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I should have posted this in german law. Are you able to assist?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately not, but I will transfer your question to out German law section, no need to respond as it will just assign it back to me, thanks
Expert:  hhvgoetz replied 2 years ago.
the issue is that before court you will usually just be able to obtain a "satisfactory" reference. "Positive" does not necessarily mean that another employer cannot see that it is not a good reference.
There are certain rules that allow to make distinction although it all sounds "positive".
Regards