a.merkel
a.merkel, Rechtsanwältin; LL.M. Eur.
Experience:  1.+ 2. Staatsexamen; LL.M.(Master of Law)
35164805

Hello I was born in Australia, have a current Aust. passport. I

Hello
I was born in Australia, have a current Aust. passport.
I also have a German passport which I acquired in 1991 and have kept it current. I was able to acquire a german passport as both my parents were still German as I was born in Astralia. now my a bit confused as in some forums it says that I may have unwittingly lost my Australia citizenship due to obtaining the german passport before April 2002.
so the question is am I still an Australian citizen? and if not how do I get it back. I phone the visa and immigrations in London and they say that if I have a current passport then I still have citizenship.

a.merkel :

Dear customer,

a.merkel :

thank you for using Justanswer.

a.merkel :

so the question is am I still an Australian citizen?

a.merkel :

Yes, you are.

a.merkel :

Australia and Germany allow dual citizenship. So you have a german and a australien one.

a.merkel :

If you have a current passport, so you still have the citizenship.

a.merkel :

If there are no understanding questions, please give me a positve rate. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can you explain a bit more fully.

what is with the obtain the German passport before April 2002 in Australian law?in my Ast. passport it say "if you acquired another citizenship prior to 4 April 2002 you may have automatically lost your Australian citizenship"

Thank your for your further question.

Australia has introduced dual citizenship until 01.04.2002.
The notice means that you could lose the Australian before 01.04.2002 when applying for another citizenship. But you have 2 valid passports,so you have dual citizenship.