How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legal eagle Your Own Question
legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 16550
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.
Type Your German Law Question Here...
legal eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I need help because I cant afford a lawyer. My ex husband

This answer was rated:

Hi, I need help because I can't afford a lawyer. My ex husband and I divorce last year 2012, 14 February. He's suppose to pay me EU25,000.00 after the divorce on the January 31, 2012 which til date he's only manage to pay me EU16,000. I've ask him for the remaining EU9,000 but he refuse to pay me and I've no way of making him because I'm now in Singapore and he's now in South Africa. He is a German citizen and I am a South African holding a EU Permanent Residence. I really need help to recover the remaining money that he still owes me.. Please help.
Dear Customer,

thank you for using Just Answer.

May I ask:

Is there a court order or a notarized contract about the payment ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My divorced papers were drwn up by a Notar in Germany

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My divorced papers were drawn up by a Notar in Germany. was stated there

Dear Customer,

thanks for replying

The notarized contract needs to be executed in South Africa or in Germany if he has still assets there, lile real estate

If there are no assets in Germany you can execute into the procedure is as follows

First of all the notarized contract will have to get legalized in South Africa

Second you need an apostil, which is the proof that the contract is legit

All these procedures are quite complex as there are a European and a non- European country involved

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I dont understand what you,we were divorced over the German law, our house there has been sold he is working now in South Africa as he is freelancer for Hitachi

Dear Customer, yes I know but in order to get the money he does not want to pay you must execute the notarized contract

If he is in South Africa execution is not possible through a German notarized contract but it has to go through the procedures I have mentioned above to be acknowledged in South Africa
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I do that? If I need to hire a lawyer then it's almost impossible as I can't afford one. Or is there any other way to get it legalised in south africa?

Dear Customer, do ypuknow of any real estate he might have in Germany ? Then you can execute into that

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I do not know of. Our house was sold and that's the only property we had before. He doesn't have any other property that I know of.

Dear Customer,

then you`ll either have to wait until he returns to Germany or you have to go through the above- mentioned procedure
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can I go through his company Hitachi to ask?

Dear Customer,

you can at least try
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

any suggestion of how I should word the email and to whom I should adress the mail to

Dear Customer,

you address it to the CEO and you simply ask if and when your ex- husband is going back to Germany

You can also try and embarass him by writing that he owes you some money from a notarized contract

Maybe this is embarassing enough and he´ll pay up
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very very much. Is there any more suggestion you can give me corner him and make sure he pays up. like strategy? please any suggestion would be much appreciated..

Dear Customer, writing to the employer is the thing that embarrasses them most.

May I ask

Do you get wife support or are the 9,000 Euro the one and only thing he still owes you
Dear Customer,

if you do not get wife support you have nothing to lose and and can go ahead writing to his employer which I would strongly recommend

If I have helped I would very much appreciate getting a positive feedback because this is how I get paid

thank you and good luck
legal eagle and other German Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I don't get wife support. That's the only thing he still owes me.


Thank you very much! I really appreciate that advise! :) I will look for you in future if I have anymore queries!

Thank you and all my best wishes

Related German Law Questions