How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask a.merkel Your Own Question
a.merkel, Rechtsanwältin; LL.M. Eur.
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 2270
Experience:  1.+ 2. Staatsexamen; LL.M.(Master of Law)
Type Your German Law Question Here...
a.merkel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am shortly to start work for a Germany-based start up.

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am shortly to start work for a Germany-based start up. I will be the first UK based employee, and we are unlikely to create a UK entity for a year or two. What's the best legal way to do this and to ensure we meet tax/NI/employment contract requirements?

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I would still like an answer please, thanks

Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Dear Customer,

thank you for using Just Answer.

You will have a normal British employment because your work and place of residence is in the UK. It does not matter, that the employer is a German company. You can not search out themselves in which country you pay your taxes or have insurance. Basically, in the EU you pay taxes your where you live and be insured there, too. For you GB.

In detail this means:
You will be insured according to British legislation, also the taxation and the employment contract must comply with the British Labour minimum rules.

I hope I was able to help.

I am here to help you and I ONLY get paid if you rate me positively AFTER I answer you. Thank you!

Best regards,

Anja Merkel, LL.M.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Anja,


Thanks for your answer but it doesn't really answer my question. I'm looking to understand how I can be hired by and paid, taxed and insured by a German company that doesnt have a presence in the UK. Although the legal requirements for a UK employee doesnt change because the company is German, their ability to act like a British company I believe does as they themselves are not registered here. So someone needs to manage for example my national insurance contributions - what's the legal requirement around that?

thanks for your further question.

You have a british tax number and also a british number of insurance.
The German company had to register and insure all british employers under their numbers in the GB. This is the law, because you live and work more than 183 days per year in GB. You are a normal British worker who is employed by a German company in the UK.

Also the German company must register the company in the UK, but this has nothing to do with your status as employee and is a completely different question.
a.merkel, Rechtsanwältin; LL.M. Eur.
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 2270
Experience: 1.+ 2. Staatsexamen; LL.M.(Master of Law)
a.merkel and other German Law Specialists are ready to help you