How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask hhvgoetz Your Own Question
hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 2899
Experience:  LL.M. in International Trade Law (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)
Type Your German Law Question Here...
hhvgoetz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lived in Germany from 2004-2007 (under a student visa from

This answer was rated:

I have previously lived in Germany most recently while teaching English in 2007. When I moved back to the US in 2007, my Girokonto at Citibank was overdrawn by a few hundred euros. It was supposed to be covered by my roommate putting my Mietskaution into my account, but I found out later that he didn't do it. Probably 18-24 months later, I called Citibank DE to try and take care of it, and there was no longer any record of my overdrawn account, even though I know the roommate didn't pay it. I don't know what happened to it...I assume that Citibank wrote it off as a bad debt, but I am wondering if there could be any legal effect resulting from this. I recently received a new job opportunity in Germany and am wondering if the Auslaenderbehoerde may have this information and if it could prevent me from getting an Arbeitserlaubnis or Aufenthaltserlaubnis. I am embarassed about the situation....I was far away, so it was easy to ignore, but I did intend to clear it's just that by the time I called, the person I talked to could not find any record of it.



if the bank doesn't have any record under your account number they must have written off the whole issue. If you just had an overdrawn account this will usually not have any criminal consequences. And a civil lawsuit will not be possible without being able to deliver any documents in a valid way.


Thus, you should just apply for the visa and see. It does not make sense to do any further investigation.



hhvgoetz and other German Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related German Law Questions