How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask hhvgoetz Your Own Question
hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 2918
Experience:  LL.M. in International Trade Law (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)
Type Your German Law Question Here...
hhvgoetz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a South African national and married a German national

Customer Question

I am a South African national and married a German national in Nurnberg in 1969/1970 and need to obtain a Divorce decree urgently as I intend marrying an Australian national in Australia. Please advise me the quickest and best way to obtain this divorce decree. Also the costs involved in obtaining this document.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: German Law
Expert:  Daniel Mifsud replied 4 years ago.

Here is the divorce kit:

You need to be separated for 12 months, no exemptions.

The cost is $800.

Please accept

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This pertains to Australia

I I was divorced in 1972

I need a copy of the decree from Germany

How do I get it??


Expert:  Daniel Mifsud replied 4 years ago.

I have placed this question under German law.

You should get a reply soon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is happening with this answer

Are you having trouble getting a reply??

I am in need of an answer ASAP

Expert:  Daniel Mifsud replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, still waiting on a German lawyer to answert
Expert:  hhvgoetz replied 4 years ago.

Yes, if your wife is a German national, German courts should have the jurisdiction to decide about the divorce, see § 98 FamFG.


However, you will need a German lawyer.


Best would be to take a lawyer near the place of residence of your wife if she is living in Germany. If not, take one in Berlin as this case (none of you living in Germany) the court in Berlin Schöneberg will have the local jurisdiction.



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This answers nothing

I WANTED to know WHERE????? I can get the divorce decree

There must be some sort of office that issues copies

THAT is what I want, a COPY of the decree granted in 1973

Not to obtain a divorce

SURELY I will not need to get a lawyer to obtain one

It must just be a matter of finding the correct office and getting a copy, THAT!!!!!!! is what I want

Expert:  hhvgoetz replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, misunderstandig.


Actually the court where the divorce was declared would be the right place.

I cannot tell you why you wouldn't get an answer. Maybe they just didn't understand your request.


An alternative would be the local Standesamt (civil registry office) where you married. They may also have a copy of the decree.


However, after such a long time there is no guarantee that there is still an existing copy at court or some other authority.


You should also ask your German ex-partner and family or one of the lawyers involved.