How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DirkBettinger Your Own Question
DirkBettinger, Rechtsanwalt
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 132
Experience:  2. Staatsexamen
Type Your German Law Question Here...
DirkBettinger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My child was born in the UK now has a German passport.He lives

Customer Question

My child was born in the UK now has a German passport.He lives in Kempten near Munich with his mum, she is telling me I have to carry on paying child support till he finishes further education in 3 years he s 18 in October . Is this correct ? and if so how much per month should I pay ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: German Law
Expert:  legal eagle replied 4 years ago.
Dear Customer,

thank you so much for using Just Answer.

My name is Claudia Marie I am a dicorce lawyer and I am glad to assist you.

Accordig to German Family Law every child over 18 is repsonsible for his own upkeep.

There is however an exception.

The exception is that parents owe their children an education accordin g to their talents and abilities.

So if your son goes on to further education you still have to pay child support.

As to the question how much this is going to be.

I cannot answer this without knowledge of your income AND the mother´s income.

Because once the child is 18 both parents are equally responsible for paying child support depending on their respective income.

Also child support is deducted fully.

If the child earns his own money this is deducted as well ( except for 90 Euros for general expenses.

So the amount you pay now may be too much for when the child turns 18.

I hope I was able to help

Please tell me whether I can assist yo further.
Expert:  legal eagle replied 4 years ago.
Dear Customer,

have you got any further questions ?

Please do not hesitate to ask

Related German Law Questions