How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask hhvgoetz Your Own Question
hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 2908
Experience:  LL.M. in International Trade Law (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)
Type Your German Law Question Here...
hhvgoetz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

While driving a rental car in Germany in January, I passed

This answer was rated:

While driving a rental car in Germany in January, I passed a speed camera and have received a violation notice from the rental car company. The letter is in German. I believe it is telling me that I was driving 77 km/h in 70 km/h zone. I have received a questionnaire in German, together with a bill for 10 euros which appears to be a service fee from the rental company (Sixt).

Can you provide any advice for how to respond? I do travel frequently to Europe and several times a year to Germany.

10 Euros will be the fine. The fee from the rental company may be a bit higher.

If you desire to come back to Germany some day you should pay immediately. In any case the rental company will charge their fee on your credit card.


If you don't pay the fine, the authorities will add another fee of 23 Euros to the fine.


If you cannot transfer the 10 Euros easily to a German bank account, the easiest way would be to call Sixt and ask whether they can pay the 10 Euros and charge it from your credit card together with their fee.



hhvgoetz and other German Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for your timely response. I have called Sixt, and although they have charged their own 10 euro fee to my credit card, they say they cannot help me with the 10 euro payment of the fine itself. Can you offer any other suggestions for how to pay the 10 euro fine to the City of Heidelberg?

If you frequently meet people in Germany, ask someone to pay it for you. You may send the money via Paypal.

A bankorder from the US will be too expensive... The fee will be higher than the fine.


If you send enough money via Paypal (my E-Mail address) that even with all surcharges I will receive more than 10 Euros, it will be no great deal for me to help you out. Beforehand please send me (to my E-Mail) a scanned version of the letter from the city of Heidelberg as we have to check, whether you are still within the payment period. Sometimes the letter needs too much time via the car rental office. The fine is only 10 Euros if paid within 2 weeks...



Related German Law Questions