How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legal eagle Your Own Question
legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 16674
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.
Type Your German Law Question Here...
legal eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Canada and my ex partner (Canadian) moved to Germany

Resolved Question:

I live in Canada and my ex partner (Canadian) moved to Germany with her new boyfriend and our children against my wishes in January.

She is now chasing me under some kind of German law for alimony- apparently in Germany i am not only responsible for my children but for her until my children are 5 years old.

I received a letter from some German government department working for her, Google translate says it is a social insurance department or something like that, but I don't understand it at all.

Do I not have the right to receive legal documents in English? Especially as I am NOT a Germany Citizen/Resident and never intend to be. I have no business in Germany and as I said, it was against my wishes in the first place my children were even taken there.

I would accept an answer with what German codex or EU law I could quote to request documents were sent to me in my own language based on my situation.

Many thanks.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: German Law
Expert:  legal eagle replied 4 years ago.

legal eagle :

Dear Customer

legal eagle :

thank you for usning Just Answer.

legal eagle :

First you are only responsible for your partner until the youngest child is 3 not 5

legal eagle :

Second the children come first

legal eagle :

You most likely received a letter from social security with questions about yur income

legal eagle :

Of course you can send it back and tell them to have it translated into English for you

legal eagle :

Normallx these things have to be translated by the sender

legal eagle :

I hope I was able to help

legal eagle :

The right for you to recieve letters in your language is in different laws.

legal eagle :

First it is a constitutional right , Art 3 III GG says that nobody must suffer disadvantages because of their language

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you that is very helpful- you said different laws guarantee me the right to have documents sent in my language- is there a specific law which says the sender bears the responsibility to translate? I read the GG 3(3) but it just guarantees me that I will not be favoured or disfavoured because of my language, but I am worried this may not be enough to persuade the social security to speak to me in English?

Many thanks for your time.
Expert:  legal eagle replied 4 years ago.
Dear Customer,

of course it should be enough.

It is the most important law and it is mandatory for the government

The other laws mainly guarantee a fair trial like Art 6 of the European Convention of Human rights and from that the right to have an interpreter is derived.

legal eagle and other German Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your answer, sorry I forgot to click accept!

Related German Law Questions