How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask hhvgoetz Your Own Question
hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 2909
Experience:  LL.M. in International Trade Law (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)
Type Your German Law Question Here...
hhvgoetz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, Im an American currently residing in Italy with

This answer was rated:


I'm an American currently residing in Italy with a Permesso di Soggiorno 5 anni. I obtained this permit on the basis of my young Italian daughter. I am now looking to move to Germany and would like to understand if this permit is transferable to Germany. If so, is it simply a matter of contacting the German consulate?

If not, how should I go about requesting a Visa to live and work in Germany? I am looking to start a business. Is the process quite difficult?

Please can you also advise on timing on both possibilites.

Many thanks



you'll need to have a long term status EU on basis of the respective directive (Art. 2 b) in order to transfer the title to another European country.


Usually, you'll obtain that title after being 5 years in the country and be able to maintain yourself and your family.


In Germany this title is also fixed in national law. In Italy it should not be any different.


Before that you'll need to have a blue card (highly qualified -> scientists, etc.).


Starting a business can be quite a hassle depending on the type of business (if special permits are required).

However, without a residence permit you will not be able to do so.


To obtain a permit just by opening a business, investing money and employing people requires a regional necessity for that business. Usually this does only match large investments.




hhvgoetz and other German Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related German Law Questions