How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legal eagle Your Own Question
legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 16666
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.
Type Your German Law Question Here...
legal eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend is thinking about moving out of our apartment,

This answer was rated:

My girlfriend is thinking about moving out of our apartment, and taking our three year old son. What I would like to know if I can stop her from taking our son from our home?
Now if this is not possible can I make sure that she does not move away with our son? We live in Cologne and she is from Hamburg, and that maybe her final destination?
Dear Customer,

thank you for using Just Answer.

Let me ask: ?

Have you got joint custody
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes we have joint custody; I filled out all the paperwork to make sure he has my last name and in getting his US passport. So he has dual citizenship also.

Dear Customer,

thank you for your reply.

As your right to visitation is in danger your girlfriend cannot simply move in a faraway city.

You can however not prevent her from leaving your appartment and taking the child with her.

The line is drawn at the point where your visitation rights are endangered
legal eagle and other German Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I wanted to hear, but something I needed to know.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX peaceful weekend.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


My next questions would be when she moves out with our son, will I be required to provide some support? This will be a problem, due to I will have a problem paying the rent on the apartment that we moved into a year ago. Both our names are on the rental agreement, can I make her still be responsible for the rent?

Dear Customer,

you need to talk with your landlord first about who is going to take over the lease

There is still the possiblity to give notice which only the two of you can

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Will we need to go to court to establish an amount of support payment?

Not necessarily

Child support depends on your income and the child`s age

There is the Düsseldorfer Tabelle which lists how much you have to pay

Related German Law Questions