How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 109612
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your German Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Son married in Germany in December Now seeking divorce and

Customer Question

Son married in Germany in December Now seeking divorce and child custody rights of unborn child. He is US citizen. She is German Should he start divorce proceedings in Germany or US
He wants to come back to US to work.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: German Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Hello. Thank you for using our service. All I ask is that before you sign off, you rate me positively. If you are inclined to use the "poor service" or "bad service" options, please ask follow-up questions first and give me a chance. Sometimes the law doesn't have a good solution, but I will try hard to find it if it is available.


Where will the child be born? Where will the child be living during the custody dispute?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She does not want to return to US before the baby is born so that she can stay on state insurance there... He wants
her to come back with him and have the baby here so he can take care of her while she is with child. He is now questioning her motives on the marriage as she told him she doesn't "need" him anymore now that she has the baby... He is very disillusioned with the whole situation
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Well, unfortunately, because both live in Germany at the moment, he would have to start the divorce process there. Even if he came back to the U.S. and waited the 6 months normally required to establish jurisdiction in the U.S. and filed for divorce here, he would still have to do part of the process in Germany because the child would be born there and would be residing there. So it probably would be easier, cheaper and faster to do the process in Germany. I don't see that you had any other questions other than that. Please let me know if you have additional questions and please do not forget to rate my service to you (not the state of the law) as that is the only way that I can get credit for my assistance. Even after you rate the service, I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. If you do rate me positively, a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to Thank you!