How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DirkBettinger Your Own Question
DirkBettinger, Rechtsanwalt
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 132
Experience:  2. Staatsexamen
Type Your German Law Question Here...
DirkBettinger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

fringe benefit taxation for apartment rent in germany

Customer Question

I have a question concerning fringe benefit taxation in Germany. Since February 2012 I work and live in Germany with all my family in a city in North Rhein Westfalia. My company pays normally the rent of the flat where I live for a sum of approx. 1000 €/month while I pay all the other expenses for general administration, gas, water, etc. Starting from this month of January 2013 they informed me that they will have to apply some deduction to my salary due to the rent fee that they pay and they say that they want to deduct also the amount due for former month (february 2012-january 2013). Before they have never communicated this to me, neither during job interview when we defined the terms and condition for the job contract, the net salary.

What is according to german law the regulation concerning this materia related to the fringe benefits? How much will I be supposed to pay? Do I have some possibility to refuse the application of such extra taxation on my normal salary?


If you need extra information to evaluate the situation please let me know.



Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: German Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please let me know if you are able to provide an answer to my question latest by tomorrow.


My visa was already billed in the meantime but I still do not have any answer.


Hope for your understanding.





Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


please let me know when I will get the answer to my question. Consider I need to get it in a short time.



Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.

We cannot predict when a reply will be forthcoming. We have no German tax category. When a German lawyer with enough knowledge of your tax regulations to give you a satisfactory answer comes on line, he or she will respond.

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question.

We appreciate your understanding!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply but if I don't get an answer in next 2 days I will close the question and I will be forced to protestate the debit on my VISA.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right professional. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately at your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good morning,


if the answer to my question cannot be provided by end of the week, I ask you to close my request and refund the money.


Thank you in advance.



Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.

I can do that for you. Just tell me when you're ready.

Related German Law Questions