Natalie
Natalie, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Customer Service & Management Background
107951584
Type Your Question Here...

I dont know which expert would be best to ask this: Im a

I dont know which expert would be best to ask this: Im a single mom of 4. My kids are out from school...all 4 kids. Theyre a TON of wrk. Can I apply for unemployment? I live in cincinnati ohio.

Hello there,

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer, please give me a moment to look into this for you.

Thank you,

NatalieE911

Past Earnings

Like every state, Ohio looks at your recent work history and earnings during a one-year "base period" to determine your eligibility for unemployment. In Ohio, as in most states, the base period is the earliest four of the five complete calendar quarters before you filed your benefits claim. For example, if you filed your claim in August of 2015, the base period would be from April 1, 2014, through March 31, 2015.

To qualify for benefits in Ohio, you must meet both of these requirements:

• You must have worked at least 20 weeks during the base period.
  • You must have earned an average of at least $237 per week during the base period. (This amount is for 2015; it changes each year.) To find out whether you meet this requirement, divide your total earnings during the base period by the total number of weeks in which you worked.

Layoffs. If you were laid off, lost your job in a reduction-in-force (RIF), or got "downsized" for economic reasons, you will meet this requirement.

Firing. If you were fired because you simply weren't a good fit, you won’t necessarily be barred from receiving benefits. If, however, you were fired for good cause, you may be disqualified from receiving benefits. For example, if you were fired for failing to perform your job duties or willfully violating company policies of which you were aware, you might not be eligible for benefits.

Quitting. If you quit your job, you won't be eligible for unemployment benefits unless you had just cause to leave your job. In general, just cause means that you had a compelling, job-related reason for leaving the position and a reasonably careful person would have done the same in your circumstances. If you left your job because of sexual harassment that your employer refused to protect you from after being put on notice, you may be able to collect benefits. You will also likely be eligible if you were forced to work in unsafe conditions or your employer failed to pay you fully for your work.

Again, thank you for choosing JustAnswer, if you need further assistance please don't hesitate to send me a reply prior to rating my service.

Kind Regards,

NatalieE911

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Oh okay, I used to bring in 365 each week for the past 8 months. But when schools stopped I came home. I also went to the doctor and got xrays and meds for my back - would these items make me able to get unemployment until I can get back pain free and figure out how my kids would be able to survive all day without me?

If the schools were shut down for the Covid-19 Virus, then, yes.

Was there any communication between you and your boss about leaving due to the schools being shut down and also your pain related issues? Did you just walk out on the job?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I texted my boss right away about my back and the schools and kids

If you left work due to your pain or an incident that happened at work that had caused you pain, you would be able to collect funds for your medical absence but your boss would have had to report your incident the day he heard from you and if he didn't he could get in a lot of trouble. You may want to speak to a Lawyer and we do have them here at JustAnswer who would be able to help you!

As for the schools being shut down because of Covid-19 aka the Corona Virus, you may absolutely file for unemployment and please do so right away!

Please click on this link to get you started right away for your state!

https://unemployment.ohio.gov/

I wish you all the best of luck and believe me, I know what having kids stuck at home feels like and I thought 2 of them were difficult! I cannot imagine 4 of them at once..... Sending strength your way! Remember, this too shall pass!

Please don't forget to rate my service.

NatalieE911

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay that helps clear up the confusion thank you!
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yes its soo crazy how many ways Im being stretched - the kids need me, work needs me, and my back needs me to settle down more lol...too much

Sorry for the delay in a reply due to technical difficulties on my end. You are very, very welcome.

We all face really tough times sometimes but we are all in this together! You take care of yourself too.

Thank you for the great review and I look forward to assisting you again in the future.

Take care,

NatalieE911