Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

HOW DO I THICKEN MY LEMON CURD - IT'S TOO RUNNY! THANKS

Customer Question

HOW DO I THICKEN MY LEMON CURD - IT'S TOO RUNNY! THANKS *****: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me more about what's going on?
Customer: I MADE SOME LEMON FILLING FOR SOME LEMON TARTS AND I THOUGHT IT HAD THICKEN ENOUGH AND WOULD CONTINUE TO THICKEN AFTER TAKING IT OFF THE STOVE - BUT IT HASN'T - ANY SUGGESTIONS! MAYBE ADD A PASTE MADE OF CORN STARCH AND WATER AND CONTINUE COOKING IT!
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?
Customer: I DON'T THINK SO!
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 days ago.

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Expert:  Cher replied 5 days ago.

Hello, again Marlene.

I'm sorry you're having this trouble. Yes, the lemon curd should start to thicken more, after it's cooked; it's possible you did not cook it long enough, but you don't want to risk burning it, either. If you already took it off the stove, yes, you can make 'slurry' (not a paste) with cornstarch and water and add it in, as you continue stirring, or you can add some gelatin to thicken it. See instructions, below:

To use cornstarch as your thickener, heat the sweetened lemon mixture until it simmers. Whisk the cornstarch (2 TBSP into a small amount 1/3 cup of cold water, and stir it briskly into your filling. Within a minute or two, it will thicken. Cornstarch fillings can be baked, but the acidity will make them break down after a day or two.

---------------

I hope this helped and you can salvage your thin lemon curd for your tarts!

Please take a second to positively rate my answer (5 stars would be greatly appreciated!), as that is the only way I will receive credit from the website for my assistance. Thank you. Rating will not close our conversation.

Best regards,

Cher