General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

My son's fiance wanfsm. My son's fiance desires monetary…

My son's fiance wanfsm ...

My son's fiance wanfsm

Expert's Assistant: The Etiquette Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Etiquette Expert can help you best.

My son's fiance desires monetary gifts for their october wedding. One example is "no boxed gifts please". Ee gads! Is there any type of phrase that isnt as rude?2w29

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Etiquette Expert should be aware of?

His fiance is very frugal...he reports it's her best & worst quality. She works full time teaching autistic children & he is working in our family business, successfully, & will buy the business within the next few years.0

7/11/2018
Sarah
Sarah, Teacher

Good evening and welcome to justanswer.com. I would be happy to help you with your question this evening. It is actually not uncommon for a bride and groom to express a preference for cash gifts at the wedding, rather than traditional "boxed gifts," but it should be a suggestion and not a demand. A clever way of expressing this is through a short poem printed on a card that is included in the invitation (much like you often include a card in a bridal or baby shower invitation to tell where the bride or expecting mother is registered). Depending on this situation, there are some different options for how to word the poem. Some couples ask for cash to go towards honeymoon expenses; some ask for cash because they have already been living together and don't have a need for household items. I will give you some examples so that, depending on your son and fiance's situation, they might be able to select one that will work for them and won't come across as rude as "no boxed gifts please." Here are some examples:

We've been together a year or two,

We don't really need anything new.

Yet if a gift is your intention,

We thought that we would mention,

We'd love some pennies to put together,

To save for something that we would treasure.

And just remember, what means the most,

Is that you're with us to raise a toast!

For sale on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/587341235/wedding-invitation-poem-for-money?ref=pla_similar_listing_top-2

Here's another option:

If you are thinking of giving a gift

To help us on our way

a gift of cash towards our honeymoon

would really make our day.

However, if you prefer to purchase a gift,

feel free to surprise us in your own way.

Also for sale on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/515540723/royal-wedding-gift-honeymoon-fund-card?ref=pla_similar_listing_top-4

Now on that last one you could always take off the last two sentences to further deter from someone bringing a traditional gift. You could also change the wording from honeymoon to "building our life together" so that it reads like this:

If you are thinking of giving a gift

To help us on our way

a gift of cash towards building our life together

would really make our day.

Here's another example:

We are truly blessed indeed,

But we'd like to save for future needs.

If you were thinking of a gift for us to start our married life

Some money would make us a very happy husband and wife!

Honestly, you can write any kind of poem that fits the personalities and situation of the bride and groom. And even if you choose the wording of one of the options above that is for sale on Etsy, you can make the cards yourself if that is more cost effective. No matter how you do it or what the exact wording is, a short poem expressing a preference for cash gifts is a cute and more polite way of communicating with wedding guests. It should be suggested, not demanded. Most guests will comply, as it is easier to give cash than to shop and is less of a hassle than carrying in a bulky gift. Also, most guests want to give the bride and groom something they actually want, so they will comply with the request for cash. There may be a few people who insist on a traditional gift (such as grandmothers), and the bride and groom should accept those gifts with grace and gratitude.

I hope this information has been helpful for you. It is always my priority to provide excellent customer service. If you need anything further, please let me know and I would be happy to help. If not, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars in the message. Providing a rating allows me to get compensated for my time by justanswer.com and also marks this question as closed. However, you can always reply back to me on this thread if needed, even after providing a rating. Thank you so much. Have a wonderful evening and congratulations on your son's upcoming wedding! Sarah

Sarah
Sarah, Teacher