General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

Does it look like the more yellowish part of the metal chain…

Customer Question
Does it look like the...
Does it look like the more yellowish part of the metal chain is zink or nickle coating and has been peeled off and licked?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: General
3/31/2018
Expert: A. Schuyler, Research Analyst replied 4 months ago
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today.

Coatings on chains are typically chrome or nickel (to make them look shiny as well as prevent rust/corrosion), not zinc which has a dull finish. All coatings will wear and peel with time. Licking just hastens the process a bit.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you!

Is nickle coating toxic?

No it isn't. Much jewelry is coated with it. Some people are allergic to it and may suffer itching where it contacts the skin, but it isn't toxic.

Does the coating in the picture look like to you that there has been peeling, flaking or just oxidation?

I can't really tell from the picture if it's just wear and tear, or if there is some peeling since a picture doesn't show three dimensions. You would need to see it in person to see if it is peeling. It does appear old and well-worn. If you have concerns about it, it's always best to replace it.

That should be asked as a separate question after accepting the first answer (hopefully with a rating of 5" or excellent).

Nevertheless, the green stain is reaction from the brass in the zipper. No telling what the coating is without chemical analysis. Brass is the foundation of most industrial zippers from jeans to home furnishings.

Thank you!

Schuyler

~