General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

I am turning 70 this year. I want to have a party at a nice…

I am turning 70...

I am turning 70 this year. I want to have a party at a nice restaurant. I am inviting 26 people. I can’t afford to pay for their entrees but I will pay for apoe

Expert's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Where did you go?

Expert's Assistant: The Etiquette Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Etiquette Expert should know?

Is anyone there?

I will pay for appetizers, sparkling wine and dessert. Is it gauche to ask friends to pay for entree? If it’s ok, what do you say, when do you say it? These are all very close friends for years.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/26/2018
Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant

Hello, my name is*****'m a professional freelance copywriter, marketing expert, journalist and editor. I am looking forward to working with you.

Hi, I have worked in the wine and hospitality sector for nearly 3 decades.

The first difficulty you will face is finding a restaurant or club that is willing to split invoices along these lines. I can pretty much guarantee that will never happen.

Too much confusion, too little guarantee.

Your best bet would be to negotiate with a restaurateur or club (golf, tennis, etc) beforehand for a per-person price. Their breakdown would let you cover appetizers, a certain amount of wine, and dessert. (The venue might also offer to host a liquor bar to the side for guests who want to buy drinks extra.)

What is not covered (entree) would be a firm amount that you can state to your guests, on the invitation, as coverage for the dinner. You should probably also ask the venue if that amount should include tips or parking.

Once all that has been negotiated, it is very easy to send out an invitation with wording to the effect: "In celebration of ... we hope you will join us ... Dinner cost is ... appetizers, desserts and congeniality are complimentary."

Congratulations on your 70th! I'm not far behind you. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for the very helpful response. Luckily I found a new, excellent restaurant that is willing to do just what you suggested with two bills. The event coordinator is doing almost verbatim to what you suggested. I also really liked how you stated in the invite the price of their dinner and left them with what they’ll be getting from me. I’ll be in touch if more questions arise. For now you’ve answered my questions completely. Thank you!

I am delighted to be of assistance. You may ask for me specifically anytime. Just start your request with "For Mary". :)

Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant