General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

I understand how to make meat floss, but what is the science…

Customer Question
I understand how to make...
I understand how to make meat floss, but what is the science of making meat into meat floss? How does it become fluffy like cotton candy? Could I say that pulled pork is muscle fiber, while meat floss is at a myofibril level?
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: General
3/26/2018
Expert: Hannah Ricottilli, Librarian replied 27 days ago
Hannah Ricottilli

Hello! I'm Hannah, and I'll be your expert today. Please give me a moment to review your question, and I will have an answer for you momentarily.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Okay. I am really looking for an expert in food and science for this question. Hopefully a food scientist in meat so I hope your answer will be similar to this level.
Expert: Hannah Ricottilli, Librarian replied 26 days ago

Okay. I apologize that I'm not a food expert, but I do a lot of researching. If you are more comfortable having a food expert help you, I'll help you redirect your question to someone more in this field.

I want to make sure you have the best experience and an answer you will be most satisfied. If you don't mind giving me a chance, I will comply the information and gather articles for you.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Sure. As long as its very technical regarding the reason why it gets fluffy, and how its very different compared to pulled meat.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you today. Also, your patience was much appreciated!

So, it looks like the science behind meat floss is the dryness of the meat. I have found a couple of articles (see below) that were consistent with the method to create the fluffy texture was in the steaming and frying the meat. The lack of moisture and draining extra oil causes the muscle fibers will individually brittle and curl up.

Articles:

• https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Nurul_Huda28/publication/268435621_Chemical_Composition_Colour_and_Sensory_Characteristics_of_Commercial_Serunding_Shredded_Meat_in_Malaysia/links/554223cc0cf21b214375a9d3/Chemical-Composition-Colour-and-Sensory-Characteristics-of-Commercial-Serunding-Shredded-Meat-in-Malaysia.pdf
  • http://ijar.org.ng/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/batch16.pdf

You are correct that meat floss is at a myofibril level. There is an "activated, structural protein begins to degrade, resulting in the complete disintegration of myofibrils structure" ([0029], https://patents.google.com/patent/CN105815692A/en). As for the pulled pork, it is muscle fiber that bundles together from the lack of collagen (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-goldwyn/physicist-cracks-bbq-mystery_b_987719.html).

I hope this answers your questions! If I have reached your expectations, a five rated star would be much appreciated! If you have any follow up questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I don't think these articles answer my questions, unless I did not read them carefully enough. Let me first list each one...Malaysia - The statement from them is just that "its shredded into fine particles and mixed with spices"... then goes on to list the moisture levels. This doesn't go into details regarding the science of the meat transformation.Ibadan Journal of Agricultural Reach - Is based on preparing from different types of oils and affects on "yield, nutritive, and organoleptic attributes of meat floss." Section on Cooking and Shredding are not scientific at all.Patent CN105815692A - I thought this would be most promising but it does mentioned myfibrils structure making it tender, but it doesn't state that each thread of floss is myfibrils. One friend said myfibrils is at a cell level, so if its at cell level, then cooking any meat would effect the cell level.Cooking Pulled Pork Meat - This also not go into detail regarding the specific difference. All meat floss require collagen to be broken down for it to be shredded. All the links regarding meat floss mention the importance of breaking down the collagen so not helpful to my research.I am specifically looking for a clear difference between meat floss and dried pulled meat to be very specific, or specifically talking about the meat structure which the Chinese patent does not state. The patent just mentioned that it effects the myofibros, but if the statement was "meat floss is many myofibros which is why its fluffy" would be a statement I could use for my research.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hi Hannah, please let me know if you will continue to answer this question, or I should request another Expert.

I'm sorry for the delay.

I may have not a clear understanding what you are looking for. Allow me to opt out of here and another expert will help you.

I'm sorry again for not being much help to you and hope that you will have your answer soon!

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Typically, what is the waiting time for a new Expert?
Hannah Ricottilli
Hannah Ricottilli
Hannah Ricottilli, Librarian