General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

I am searching for information on starting a religion. I…

I am searching for...

I am searching for information on starting a religion. I live in Saskatchewan.

Expert's Assistant: Have you talked to a Saskatchewan lawyer about this?

No

Expert's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just started. Found info on the US mainly. Them noticed there was separate information for each province so I thought I would check first

3/21/2018
Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant

Hello, my name is*****'m a professional freelance copywriter, marketing expert, journalist and editor. I am looking forward to working with you.

As you probably know by now, in the US and Canada, people can freely meet to worship and engage in any religion they choose. It need not be an established religion.

If you want to start a whole new religion, it can be as simple as clarifying your precepts by writing them down as a mission statement. Then decide what practices (meditation, kindness, tithing, volunteerism) support your beliefs, and encourage your followers to embrace those practices.

Are you talking instead about starting a "church"? If you plan to attract crowds, take tithes or donations, and acquire property, then local, city and province tax laws would apply. I suggest you file to become a non-profit organization. This can cost anywhere from $40 to $250 depending on your location.

To operate a non-profit, you may need a bank account in the name of the church, which may first require filing for a DBA ("doing business as") in your local newspaper, or online. You may be required to file bylaws and have a board of directors.

Filing for non-profit status:

* https://www.isc.ca/CorporateRegistry/RegisteringaBusiness/RegisteryourBusiness/Pages/Register-a-Non-Profit-Corporation.aspx

* https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/charities-giving/charities/policies-guidance/policy-commentary-016-religious-charities-exemption.html (This information is dated 2000. Check for updates.)

* https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/charities-giving/giving-charity-information-donors/about-registered-charities/what-difference-between-a-registered-charity-a-non-profit-organization.html

More information:

* https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/arts-and-life/life/faith/church-state-and-tax-receipts-209772051.html

* http://www.sk.united-church.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Property-Handbook-copy2015.pdf

* https://www.ulc.org/training/starting-a-church (This is US-based info, but still a good guide to starting out.)

* https://ministrymaker.com/beginners-guide-to-church-planting/ (Also US/Christian, but a good step-by-step guide.)

You should also consult your local library or Amazon to see if they have any helpful books on the topic, using "start a church" as a search term. Most of the results will be American authors, but the only difference really, is in the paperwork in filing for tax-exempt status.

Suggested reading:

* https://www.amazon.com/How-Start-Your-Own-Religion-ebook/dp/B007S2UD2I

* https://www.amazon.com/Ministry-Money-ministry-non-profit-organization-ebook/dp/B007VHGT1O

Are there any other questions I can help you with today?

Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant