General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

A close friend is cohosting a birthday party. I was invited…

Customer Question
Hi, a close friend...

Hi, a close friend is cohosting a birthday party. I was invited and accepted the invitation. Two days before the event, the cohost asked if I would like to contribute to the cost of the cake and centerpieces, it would be an equal amount of $25 beteeen the host and co-hosts and me. I did nit respond yes or no but said I was planning to get a gift. The folllowibg morning she asked me again and now it’s $35. She said no worries if I did not want to. I responded and asked what I was buying exactly and expressed that she has put me on the spot and I was really wanting to buy a gift. Also, I asked why others going were not being invited and why was the host not approaching me. She then must of asked the host to contact me directly. Now I feel really on the spot. The host invited ne to dinner that evening to join in on putting the centerpieces together. I went and now today is the day of the event and now we are up to &40 and they have asked if I have any extra boas for some woman that have no time to pick one up. The event has been planned for two weeks.

Expert's Assistant: The Etiquette Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Etiquette Expert should know?

Anyway I feel used and should never of been asked to contribute two days before the a

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: General
3/20/2018
Expert: Michael, Librarian replied 3 months ago
Michael
Michael, Librarian

Good afternoon,

It sounds to be that the birthday party event planner(s) such as these friends did not use time management skills well. I can understand your concern about the cost that continues to grow. You should feel in my opinion to give whatever amount you can and feel that is appropriate. You can give a small amount to the party to make sure it goes well with a gift. In this case, you cover both the cost of the party along with a gift which is a nice way to celebrate.

Enjoy the party knowing you have done everything that can be asked at a short amount of time.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael