General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

I gave my furniture to my son who has fallen on hard times.

I gave my furniture...

I gave my furniture to my son who has fallen on hard times. After a few months someone (buyer) bought the house where my son was living. He will move, however, he sold all the furniture to the person who bought the house my son was renting. My son told me several times he had given the furniture away. That bothered me as he did not ask me if I would want it back. Now I've found that he sold the furniture for $1,500. Please share your thoughts so I can sort my feelings.

Expert's Assistant: The Etiquette Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Etiquette Expert should know?

No. This is enough as it's caused varying concerns throughout the family.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Michael
Michael, Librarian

Good evening and welcome to Just Answers,

Thank you for clearly explaining the situation and what your feeling are toward this internal family issue. It was first a wonderful thing that you offered your own furniture to your son who I am sure needed this as being fallen on hard times.

I would not want this particular incident to harbor bad feelings toward you and your son. Your son I am thinking felt that the furniture was given to him with no strings attached as he may have not felt that having to give it back if he moved or sold his home. I do believe though that he should have asked you first about if you wish to have the furniture back as he is selling his home. My thoughts though are that your son believed that the furniture was his and not needed to be given back to you.

Do not let this issue cause a riff between you and your son. I know your feelings are hurt as should have been asked but know that no harm was intentional by your son.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

Take care,

Michael

Michael
Michael, Librarian