General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

Only: I would like to know what makes websites like

This question is for *****...
This question is for ***** ***** only:
Hello, I would like to know what makes websites like Booking.com or Expedia believe that a reservation is fake. For “fake reservation” I mean that they judge that a reservation that is made using their system was actually made by the hotel which received the reservation in the name of someone else,so that they could get a fake review on that accommodation. Did I make myself clear? I’ve been wondering if they check the connection IP, the computer which is used, the credit card, or anything else. Can anybody tell me how it works?
3/19/2018
Josie-Mod
Josie-Mod, Moderator
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when she is back online.
Sarah
Sarah, Teacher

Good morning. I'm assuming this is for me. You put "***** *****" by accident again instead of "Sarah Teacher." :) Thank you for the request. I will look into this for you and see if I can find something out. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Sarah

Ok, here is what I found out. When you visit Expedia, it collects your IP address, web browser software info, and referring website. They may also collect information about your online activity, such as trips viewed and bookings made. Booking.com collects your IP address, the time and date you accessed their website or app, web browser software info, language settings, and information about your operating system. If you are using your mobile device, they might also collect data that identifies your mobile device, device-specific settings and characteristics, location details, app crashes, and other system activity. Trivago collects similar information as Expedia; I would assume that all of the travel booking websites collect at least your IP address, web browser information, and basic settings, as well as the day/time you accessed the site. While I could not find anything in my research that outwardly stated that this information is specifically used to identify "fake" reservations, it seems reasonable to assume that it is.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you in understanding how these sites might be able to identify a "fake" reservation. It is always my top priority to provide excellent customer service. If you feel that I have done so, please take a moment to provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you and have a wonderful day! Sarah

Sarah
Sarah, Teacher
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am sorry I typed ***** ***** again. I confused it with ***** ***** who is another expert. But the question was for you
Sarah
Sarah
Sarah, Teacher