General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

Tesla and other infinite power claims. I see a lot o f this…

Tesla and other infinite power...
Tesla and other infinite power claims.
I see a lot o f this stuff on the internet and you tube.
Yes the "buy our plans for $49.95 and never pay the electric company a g ain plus get the free wind-chimes" are bogus offers. These things may produce power to run a nightlight....maybe.
Or the video of generator/alternator/electric motor loops that once you get them running, they supposedly defy the known laws of physics and (with coil and field mods) can pick up latent ionic energies (which do exist) and can continue to run and make more power than they use to run.That being said, I live off grid and if I only had a small (200-400) watts of continuous dc or a.c. power I would never have to run my generator at night or on dark days.
So is there something that can actually produce a small amount of power using these non-standard methods?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
William Purpura

Let's look at the basic math here. if you need 400 watts of continuous power electrical power that works out to .53 continuous Horsepower. To generate much net power you need about 20-25% more raw Horsepower to take into account conversion losses so let's call it .66 HP or 2/3 horsepower being provided 100% of the time regardless availability of wind or sun conditions. Note that 2/3 of a HP is more than a competitive cyclist can put out on a stationary bike for a length of time this is not insignificant. However, depending on your local conditions you could supply this in one of these ways if you have access to the following conditions:

1. Access to a reasonably fast moving stream of water: Insert a traditional water wheel into a water channel that diverts water from the stream through it to turn it with sufficient force and speed to power a DC generator in the 1 HP plus range to continuously charge a battery array. The dimensions of the wheel, plus the required gearing and switching electronics will require some detailed analysis by an expert in building such systems but all of this is well known and everything is off the shelf. Be sure to design it to adjust to water flow height since stream water level are prone to major hight ranges over the year. Like the water wheel above the total power generated will depend on local conditions and how much you want to spend.

2. If you have access to a waterfall near your property with a large enough water drop height you can set up a simple Pelton wheel water powered generator that should meet your power needs as long as you have sufficient water flow over the edge. In this case, it is very important to find out if the waterfall ever stops over the year before starting any work. The rest of the system would be similar to the water wheel system described above.

3. If you have access to a steady supply of water and wood chips (or yet better pellets which can be automatically fed into the system) you can build a simple steam-powered engine that can run a generator to charge your batteries. This requires more money, skill to run, and knowledge/time to maintain but it can provide a lot more power that is less impacted by changing water levels.

4. If you have access to wood or coal you could build a low powered engine powered by either per the link below

http://www.robertsarmory.com/gas.htm

In this case, you would make the engine stationary and simply connect it to a generator & battery system. This would not be inexpensive and is both complex and requires a lot of maintenance but it will also do the job. However, check local codes due to the emmisiions from such engines

I could also discuss a geothermal power system but that is far more complex and I doubt if you have access to such a heat source :-)

Bot***** *****ne,

if you're stuck in the middle of flat land without access to running/dropping water options 1 & 2 will not work.

If you have no access no water on a regular basis also option 3 is a no go.

If you don't have ready access to a lot of wood or coal then option 4 is no go.

In that case, it will take a lot of solar collectors to be able to generate enough power to meet both your needs during the day as well as to get you through the night one batter power plus enough power storage to cover 7 days in a row of no sunlight. They also need to be placed in an optimum semi-flat orientation without any possible shade impact to optimize their power collection over the full sunlight period.

I hope this gives you enough information to evaluate your local options :-)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dear *****,
Thank you the thorough and detailed answer.
However, I have looked into the option you landed out (even the stream generator).
That being said, what I was trying to determine is whether there is merit and actual feasibility in small scale production (ie: even 100 watts) of continuous power using one of the alternative / radical energy systems being touted.
Yes the claims of unlimited and endless power is BS. But these technologies are based in real science and can produce some small amounts of power virtually from nothing. (Without having to feed the beast so to speak) Just wanted to know if there was something achievable with one of these out of the box but not baseless technologies.
FYI: I do have have a large enough PV array and Battery system to meet all of my needs in the spring summer and fall, but winter operation is problematic. Here in VT micro-hydro is also problematic, (nearby brook and waterfalls freeze in winter and flood/washout in spring. Have windmills too, but not reliable. And tired of splitting wood and filling stove so I don't want one more thing to fill.
I understand your situation and I see that these other options will not work for you. However regardless of what has been written about supposedly tesla technology the bot***** *****ne is we fall back on the first law of Thermo which states you can’t get something for nothing. In the past the only form of “free” energy is to Steal it from a radiating source. I am told when they started to electrify the rural area in the 30s college students taking physics and engineering would Return home to the farm and use the Barbwire fences running parallel to high tension lines To capture the radiating power leaking from the wires. They would then attach wires between two sets of lines to produce enough voltage to light the bulbs. This was more a gimmick then a practical energy capture due to the low voltages and currents involved. Regardless of what you read there is no practical way to generate a consistent and steady voltage and amperage necessary to provide 400 W by any of those technologies described. Remember you’re talking over half of horsepower which is a lot of power. I am sorry but there is no way this will work for your needs.
William Purpura
William Purpura
William Purpura
William Purpura