General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

Can a chemist look up the formula for calcium pyruvate and…

Can a chemist look up...
Can a chemist look up the formula for calcium pyruvate and tell me how many milligrams of ELEMENTAL CALCIUM there are in 1000mg of calcium pyruvate? I'm taking calcium pyruvate as a supplement and my doctor wants me to count total daily intake of calcium. The manufacturer of this supplement has been of no help in answeing this question.
3/15/2018
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today.

Calcium pyruvate contains roughly 17% calcium (varies by manufacturer), so 1,000 mg calcium pyruvate would contain about 170 mg elemental calcium.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
You have been VERY helpful to me. I have to take calcium for my osteopenia but the latest research shows that the form in which it is taken and the amount taken at any one time matters a lot as far as cardiovascular health is concerned. For example, it is now known that the body can only process 500mg of calcium at any one time. More than this either gets excreted or is deposited in the arterial walls (where it is NOT wanted) or it is deposited in the heart valves (where it is EVEN LESS wanted).
Thank you very much.

You're so very welcome. As a nurse practitioner, I understand completely. Too much calcium can also cause problems other than the ones you mention including kidney and liver issues. Of course, it's best to get your calcium from healthy food, but if you can't eat that much, supplements can help.

Some calcium supplements spell out exactly how much calcium is in the compound. Below is one such example. Note that this one contains only about 15% elemental calcium.

I've seen 3 reports recently that getting one's calcium from food, rather than supplements, is much better for the cardiovascular system and so that's what I'm doing. I'm actually taking the calcium pyruvate for the pyruvate rather than the calcium (I haven't been able to find a source of pure pyruvate) since I read about an animal study which indicated that intake of pyruvate is able to reverse cataract development. (It's not clear to me , though, whether these were regular cataracts like I have or diabetic cataracts. There are a number of other substances, such as alpha lineolic acid, which also reverse diabetic cararacts.)
I was concerned that the calcium "by-product" in taking my pyruvate might be a large amount and was relieved to learn from you that it is not.
Thank you very much for the link to a different source of calcium pyruvate. I'll check into it. It sounds better than the one that I'm taking since the manufacturer is responsible enough to tell customers the amount of calcium in it and it also may contain slightly less calcium than the one I'm using.
Thanks, ***** *****

You're welcome. Good health to you.