General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

My name is ******** and I have a question why items were…

Hi. My name is...

Hi. My name is ******** and I have a question why items were taken out of my checked luggage by TSA when I flew to Alaska this past summer. I have a TSA Lock, so I know only TSA could go into my bag and they left a card saying my bag was inspected. The items removed were a tube of Deep Blue lotion for pain, a pair of small scissors, and my loose foundation powder. I know not to put these in my carry one, but I had thought they would be okay for my checked baggage. Please let me know if rules have changed because I am traveling next week to Florida. Thank you for your time.

Expert's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I was flying home to CT from Alaska. These items were taken at the Alaska airport, I assume.

Expert's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I didn't know I could do that.

Expert's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that is everything so far.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I still have not heard back from anyone regarding this. Is this a con? Should I be talking to the authorities?
Answered in 1 day by:
3/10/2018
Michael
Michael, Librarian

Hello, thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am Michael, a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Good morning,

TSA rules change almost on a regular basis as I know of travelers who are surprised to find out that something they had in their luggage was now not allowed. What I have done is to offer the most recent information found on the TSA website as it breaks down what is allowed for carry-on luggage. What I might suggest is the day before you travel that you review the site as things can change almost day to day.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/printable

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Librarian Michael

If you had read my question, you would have seen that I was not talking about carry on luggage -- I was talking about my checked on luggage. Nothing I had listed as being taken were on the list. So, why? And, if I take them with me again, will they be taken? I also had 6 plastic bottles of blueberry honey in my checked suitcase, but they didn't take those.
I doubled checked the list on your website, and it says that scissors, lotion, and powder can be in the checked suitcase -- which is what I did. So, again, why?

No answer to why the particular TSA agent decided on taking these items out of your checked-in suitcase. It could be that this particular agent was not aware of any changes that might have been made within their organization. This I know has happen to other flyers in the past where changes were made at the last minute and the TSA agent in question was not informed. What I would suggest is the day before your flight that you review the website link I provided to see what the most recent changes are (if any) and follow those to be sure what is packed in your checked-in suitcase follows the rules set by the TSA.

Take care,

Librarian Michael

I do thank you for answering my question. Therefore, based on your answer, I will, as usual, check the website again, tomorrow, before I fly out to Florida with those same items in my bag. I'm sure this is an uncomfortable assignment for you since it appears to me that there is a strong possibility that the agent involved decided to take my items, for no reason at all, except he/she liked them. These are not unusual items where the laws would change regarding them. All in all, it just proves we cannot trust anyone, not even the TSA. I take my chances, as everyone else, they do what they want.

You are very welcome as to my answer to your question. I am though not sure why a negative rating was given as I offered what I believe is a clear and concise response back to you right away. Our service is not associated with the TSA so my research and understanding of what might have happen was spelled out for you to make an informed decision on what can be done on your next flight so that my hope is this issue will not happen again. I do hope you would reconsider your rating to my answer to your question.

Have a safe flight tomorrow.

Take care,

Librarian Michael

Michael
Michael, Librarian
I'm sorry for the poor rating. I was reacting to the TSA taking my belongings without any cause or explanation. You did try to placate me, which I do not appreciate. You assumed, at the beginning, that it was my carry-on instead of my checked baggage, and to look at the list on the web site; again, assuming I did not already do that, plus, if you had read the contents taken, you would realize that they are not unusual items and, therefore, would not be subject to change on the list. You, of course, can offer no clear explanation, no one can, except for the person who took them. That is not your fault and I should realize you are limited in your advise, as is this service offered by TSA. I guess I am rating the service and TSA more than you.