General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

As a bottle collector, i go thru neighbor's recycables(with…

As a bottle collector...

As a bottle collector, i go thru neighbor's recycables(with their permission)-i found a empty medicine bottle with a dr's name i am familiar with - (i am looking to switch doctors-i called the person and asked for a recommendation of thedoctor - she asked how i knew she went to that dr - i said i saw it on the medicine bottle in the recycling - she didn't seem annoyed but i told one of my friends about it and he said i was wrong to call her = i go thru her recyclables every week - in the past i have gotten her candles and perfume as i know she likes them by going thru her recycables - was i wrong to call her and ask for a dr recommendation?

1/24/2018
Michael
Michael, Librarian

Good evening,

It sounds as though no harm was done in terms of asking although something this private might not be something that the neighbor would like to know (medicine taken). Bottles though such as these should have the labels taken off for security concerns As for asking about the doctor your neighbor has by finding out on the bottles tossed out, might not have been the proper way to ask as it could have been done other ways. Asking about a particular doctor away from saying you saw this on the bottle to searching online for reviews.

Do not though feel you did anything wrong as you did not mean to cause any harm or embarrassment. Let things cool down for awhile before talking again to the neighbor as I hope that your friendship does not end by a simple mistake of privacy.

I hope that this information was found useful as please inform me of any additional questions/concerns you have. Also if you could take a second to rate my assistance so that I know my help was found useful today.

Take care,

Michael

Michael
Michael, Librarian
i could have said something else to the neighbor as to how i got the doctor's name, but lies do come back to bite you in the butt sometimes and i think that would have been worse

True that honesty is the best policy. Best though in the future that if you feel that something may be of a private concern that it might be best to ask in a different way. Not to mention that you might have seen something private could then keep a friendship open.

Take care,

Michael