General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

Senator Sanders stated this morning that 87% of Americans…

Senator Bernie Sanders stated...

Senator Bernie Sanders stated this morning that 87% of Americans were in favor of the Dreamers Act. My question is, what percent of this 87% are withholding taxes of the dreamers they employ?

Expert's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Arizona

Expert's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I don't understand your question.

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2018
A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today.

Can you send a link to where Sen. Sanders spoke on that topic this morning? I can't seem to find his speech to see what poll he was quoting..

I was watching the debate on CSPAN2. It is still on right now.

Thanks. I'm sorry but I can't watch TV, especially not a debate that has gone on from this morning until after 3 p.m.

I did find a Quinnipiac poll released January 11 that showed 79% (not 87% so I don't know what poll Sen Sanders was quoting) of Americans think Dreamers should be allowed to stay in the country. The pollsters didn't ask the respondents how many withheld taxes, or even if they employed a Dreamer.

The government requires a Dreamer to apply for a work permit, which must be renewed periodically. Without it they cannot get a job. Estimates are that 91% of Dreamers are employed, many in the top 25 of Fortune 500 companies, so naturally their employers would be obeying the law and withholding taxes. Silicon Valley employers says they would face a real hardship if Dreamers were deported.

The United States Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy estimates that Dreamers have paid over $2 billion in state and local taxes.

It isn't as though these people are for the majority in jobs like housework where it is fairly easy to avoid paying taxes.

I'm sorry I don't know what poll Sen. Sanders was quoting, but most assuredly no one asked the question you are asking. I'm confident the pollsters didn't talk to the CEO of Apple, HP, etc. to see if they were withholding taxes. They talked to a random sampling of people, such as you or me.

A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst