General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

I need a professional group or tutor to help a teen ager…

I need a professional...

I need a professional group or tutor to help a teen ager learn to study and manage time---in the Cincinnati area. Do you know how I find this person?

Expert's Assistant: The Psychologist will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Psychologist can help you best.

Grandson is 16. Lost his father at age 6. Mother is overwhelmed. Gson is good boy but does not know how to study nor manage time. Mother cannot help. He is bright but undisciplined. I need to help. I'm in CA. He is in Cincinnati. Would pay for tutor or whatever. Does not need help with academics. Needs help with how to study.

Expert's Assistant: I should have chatted with the Psychologist on a daily basis with my two kids. And maybe about my brothers, too. You are so doing the right thing getting in touch with one of them. Is there anything else the Psychologist should be aware of?

I have told you the pertinent information. He is a sophomore. Was in special ed. Tested out. Thinks he can get by just listening in class. Not motivated to study at home. Mother no help. He must figure out everything himself. I need help advising him.

1/17/2018
Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this inquiry.

When would you be able to call me?

Have you tried Wyzant.com?

You will be able to find a wide range of tutors in the Cinncinnati area who can meet with him several times a week or month. I suggest you look for a generalist, and also someone conversant with Skype so they can check in on him frequently.

There are also these sites:

* Tutor.com

* Skooli.com

* Studygate.com

You will also be able to interview potential tutors before hiring them, and request feedback on your grandson's progress.

Will we be able to talk on the phone?

I'm sorry, I am unable to accept live calls at this time of the evening. But I'll be happy to chat here and answer any questions you may have.

I have already posed my question. Did you receive it?

Yes. I answered it above. Can you see it?

Here is the answer again, in case you can't view it.

Have you tried Wyzant.com?

There are also these sites:

* Tutor.com

* Skooli.com

* Studygate.com

Thank you for answering. I will follow through with your suggestions. What is a generalist? How do I know that any site is legit? Any suggestions for making a good choice? Thank you.
The tutoring services that you suggested seem to focus on content tutoring. As I explained, I need someone who will address learning skills, strategies, time management and managing homework tasks. Any more specific suggestions?

Hi, a "generalist" would be a tutor that works in more than one content field. Or use search terms to find tutors that mention "study habits". Teachers are required to be certified in specific content fields, but many of them are also very good at mentoring students on their study habits. Although your grandson is 16, he might benefit from having a middle school mentor, as teachers emphasize good study habits in the earlier grades.

All of the links I gave you are legit sites, and they vet their tutors thoroughly. I used to work for Wyzant; it's a good company, although a tad expensive.

I would NOT recommend finding a tutor to address your grandson's most difficult topic at this time. This is what a lot of parents do, but it often magnifies a sense of failure or struggle in the student. When parents first start working with a tutor, I recommend finding a tutor in the student's favorite field, thus giving the student a chance to really excel in at least one topic. This makes it fun and reinforces all the positive aspects of having a tutor. Students who have a great experience with their first tutor are more likely to continue working with tutors.

If you don't know what his favorite topic might be, I would start with an English tutor, as they can generally help him excel in all subjects.

It helps to be very specific in your job offer about your desires and requirements. You will then attract more tutors who actually have the skills you are looking for, and who are willing to help.

When contacting or interviewing your top applicants, ask them for an outline of how they would proceed, and ask them to explain why, and also ask how they would gauge progress.

Best of luck!

Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant
Thank you.
I rated your and hope the response was received. Thank you.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. :)

A pleasure doing business with you. Feel free to ask for me any time.