General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

I am set for a pet scan tomorrow at 11:30 am. I was told not…

I am set for a...
I am set for a pet scan tomorrow at 11:30 am. I was told not to eat anything today except for drinking water or chicken broth or beef broth. There must be something I can eat. I have a headache and cold sweats. I really feel like I need to eat something. I am 77 and have been diagnosed with cancer and the reason for the pet scan to find out what kind it is and where it is. I had 6 months of chemo in 2015 for 3 types of cancer, so this will be the second time around. Is there anything I can eat today that will not interfere with the pet scan?
1/17/2018
Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you.

You should probably call the lab and confirm those instructions, because they do not appear to be correct. The typical instruction is not to consume anything for 12 hours before your test. So if you stop eating at midnight today, you should be fine for your test tomorrow. But please, confirm that with your doctor or directly with the testing facility.

Here are the instructions from North Shore University Health Systems in Chicago:

12 hours before your appointment:

• You will be asked to eat a low carbohydrate diet. Foods that can be eaten include: meat, hard cheese, tofu, eggs, butter and vegetables with no starch.
  • Some foods that are NOT allowed include: cereal, pasta, milk, breads and other sugars.
  • If you are scheduled in the late afternoon and can eat breakfast before the scan, it must be a low carbohydrate diet as well.

6 hours before your appointment:

• For all PET scan diets, you will be asked to stop eating 6 hours before your appointment; however, you may continue to drink water.
  • You will also be asked to bring copies of any recent CT scans or MRI's done outside of NorthShore University HealthSystem.

I have never heard of a test where the patient cannot eat for over 24 hours. You should be fine to eat a light dinner tonight, but absolutely avoid sugar and carbohydrates like pasta and bread. A small dinner of meat and veg should be fine. Drink water or herbal tea.

Best of luck with your scan!

Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant
Are there any veggies I should avoid and can I eat them raw

No vegies to avoid, and yes you can eat them raw. :)

Thank you

Oh wait, one small correction - no potatoes or squash (carbs), but everything else is okay!

You're welcome! Have a nice evening.

What about a salad with dressing

That should be fine.

What about a salad with dressing any kind of dressing

A vinaigrette would be best. Poppyseed, any dressing made primarily of oil is also okay. You're supposed to stay away from dairy, so avoid blue cheese (Roquefort). Thousand Island would be okay too as it's primarily based on mayo, which is egg and oil.

So except for blue cheese styles, the choices for dressing are pretty wide.

I think your choice of a salad is a wise choice--nice and light, healthy, and easy to digest. :)

You seem anxious. Do you have some chamomile tea for bedtime?

I’ve got a terrible headache and a sore throat. I’ve had three rounds of antibiotics in the last six weeks for strep and bronchitis. It feels like I’m getting it again. I’m very tired.

I am terribly sorry to hear that. You probably need to build up your strength. After your PET scan you will be able to return to your normal diet. When you see your doctor next, ask him about supplements and probiotics to help offset the effects of long-term antibiotics.

The doctor prescribed Augmentin then penicillin then ZPak but the problem keeps coming back. In 2015 I was in the hospital with cancer,influenza B and Sepsis. I’ve been recovering ever since but now cancer is back but the pet scan is supposed to tell them what kind of cancer and where it is.
I feel like my strep is back. Is it wise to get a pet scan when one is sick?

Your illness should not interfere with the test, nor is the test likely to make you feel more ill -- although there are occasional side effects. You should inform the medical staff when you arrive for your appointment, and let them make the final determination.

I know it's difficult to go through a test like this when you don't feel well, but it might be wisest to just get it over with, so you can go home and rest with no more anxiety about it.

Thank you
Mary Baker
Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant