General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

1/14/2018
Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant

Hello, my name is*****'m a professional freelance copywriter, journalist and editor. I am looking forward to working with you.

I believe Dr. Pravin is correct, but I have some more information for you. Give me a few moments to assemble it all, and I'll be right back!

Eczematous reactions to tattoos are, unfortunately, quite common. Apparently a particular type of red ink often sets them off. So you are not alone, nor is there any reason to panic.

However, if this is your first tattoo, you may be having some kind of systemic or allergic reaction.

* DermNet New Zealand has an excellent list of the various reactions you might be having, along with clear photos, and also a list of ink ingredients by color.

* Everyday Health has an easy-to-read article on the various types of tattoo reactions.

* "Red tattoo pigments are thought to contain toxic metals, which predispose the skin to a higher incidence of adverse reactions, particularly lichenoid and allergic contact dermatitis." Source: National Institute of Health

* However, people are very individual in their reactions to certain dyes, and because dyes vary widely, just because you have had previous successful tattoos, does not mean you won't react if the dye content has changed. "In general, metallic substrates used in the pigment compounds are felt to be at the root of most reactions, and occasionally patch testing with corresponding metal may help demonstrate causality." Source: Dermatology Advisor (This site is very technical, but the photos may be worth looking at--they show various people reacting to specific dye colors.)

* Extensive article on reactions and infections in tattoos: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1124433-overview Be sure to scan through each section listed.

Your doctor will probably want to do a biopsy or skin scraping to determine the specific cause. He/she may also prescribe a steroid ointment that will help with the itching. Do not use a heavy ointment on your tattoo until you have seen the doctor -- or if you just can't bear it, go ahead and use one, but leave a portion uncovered, so there is a clean spot for the doctor to biopsy. Meanwhile, take some heavy-duty acetominephin, or some valerian root capsules. (Do not take ibuprofen with antibiotics.) Personally, I have found some relief from rashes by taking a dextromethoraphan-based cough syrup like NyQuil, which also contains an antihistamine. It also works quickly, since it is a liquid. Do not combine these medications, or drive after taking them.

Best of luck!

The weird thing is that I never had any red dye , I had a black , darker grey and a white but that’s it . It’s been really itchy today and I would love to take something to help with it but I’m on probation and can’t take NyQuil

Oh gosh. Well if you look through the sites I gave you, you'll see that all the dyes contain metals that might provoke a reaction in anyone at any time. It could also be an infection caused by something that was on your skin. The doctor will need to run labs to determine the specific cause. We can't diagnose here at JustAnswer, of course, but I do want to reassure you that these reactions are not uncommon.

It sounds as though you are probably going to just have to wait until Monday before getting some relief. Or, you could try calling an Urgent Care center and asking if there some over-the-counter relief or topical ointment you could use until your appointment.

You should be able to take Benedryl while on probation, and that might help too.

Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant
Okay thank you for your help . I will be sure to talk to my doctor about these things when I see him .

Hi, I just wanted to follow up. Are you doing okay?

everything is going okay
Mary Baker
Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant