General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Can someone explain what is trying to be said in this? “I…

Can someone explain what is...
Can someone explain what is trying to be said in this?
“I say, then, that if the temperate soul is good, one that is in the opposite state to this sensible one is bad; and that was the senseless and dissolute one. Certainly. And further, the sensible man will do what is fitting as regards ***** ***** and men; for he could not be sensible if he did what was unfitting. That must needs be so. And again, when he does what is fitting as regards ***** ***** actions will be just, and as regards ***** ***** pious; and he who does what is just and pious must needs be a just and pious man. That is so. And surely he must be brave also: for you know a sound or temperate mind is shown, not by pursuing and shunning what one ought not, but by shunning and pursuing what one ought, whether they be things or people or pleasures or pains, and by steadfastly persevering in one's duty; so that it follows of strict necessity, Callicles, that the temperate man, as shown in our exposition, being just and brave and pious, is the perfection of a good man; and that the good man does well and fairly whatever he does and that he who does well is blessed and happy, while the wicked man or evil-doer is wretched. And this must be the man who is in an opposite case to the temperate,—the licentious man whom you were commending.”
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/14/2018
Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant

Hello, my name is*****'m a professional freelance copywriter, journalist and editor. I am looking forward to working with you. Please give me a few moments to research your question.

This is Plato writing in his book Gorgias, describing or imaging Socrates lecturing young men on four main themes: wisdom, courage, temperance, and justice.

This passage is part of his exposition on temperance. The context is that he is explaining, in essence, the difference between love and lust.

His argument is that if one falls prey to "senseless and dissolute" urges, one is likely to make bad, uninformed choices. That making "licentious" decisions will ultimately cause one to be "wretched".

He argues further that if men pause in their actions to consider with "a sound or temperate mind" and strive to be "just and brave and pious" then they are more likely to be "blessed and happy".

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you soooo much!!

My pleasure! Please remember to rate my service, and feel free to ask for me specifically any time.

Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant
Mary Baker
Mary Baker
Mary Baker, Consultant